Thursday 20 March 2014

And....Breathe.

Some of my most thoughtful insights come to me in the bit before everyone gets up and creates havoc. Today is no different, its 6am and I am alone............Well apart from the dog who is Super Glued to me..............The house is quiet apart from the ticking of my many clocks (a bit of an obsession), Mr DG hates them all and thinks its like listening to time slipping away with every "tick,tock"..........The birds are beginning to wake up and chatter away in the garden and occasionally the odd car drives past slowly. My coffee is next to me and with each sip I become more awake ready to take on the world. I love the peace and stillness of the house when everyone is still in the land of dreams and I breathe slowly savouring the oncoming morning chaos that the school/work day brings......................................................Another deep long slow breath......................Then............

"I'm first in the shower today, you went first yesterday"

"No, way......YOU went first yesterday.....................Its sooooooo unfair"

"Oh my God.....I so did not go first, this is like totally typical of you in the morning......................MUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!"

I close my eyes as the angelic yelling shatters my silence.........I wait for Mr DG to interject...............This doesn't happen...................Until.........................................................The brand new shower cubicle doors slam shut..............................................................

"For God's sake don't slam those doors, we paid a fortune for that new bathroom and you are going to wreck it in 5 minutes.................................I don't work all day just for you two to trash our house"

"It wasn't me it was her.....................She tried to trap my finger in it on purpose"

"I so totally did not...........Its not my fault if your fat fingers get in the way all the time"

"MMMMUUUUMMMMMMMMMM.......................She said I had fat fingers"

The last sip of coffee slips down my throat and the dog sighs and long painful "Here we go again" sigh. Mr DG has appeared and shakes his head in desperation...."Honestly, those two".............In my mind I wonder why he is down here with me and why he doesn't just sort it out......"I will leave you to referee that match" he says with a wink.......................................................................................

Another slam of the shower doors........................."MUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM he's just called me a cow.......Can I slap him?"

"I never called you a Cow.........................Plus.....................You called me a Moronic Dipstick and Fat"

I climb the stairs with meaning and stand looking at the pair of them..................................And hit them with the greatest super power I posses .......................................................THE MUMMY LOOK................................They both break eye contact and slope off into their rooms, peace has returned and for once I shower in peace..........................................................A cold one as they have used all the hot water...............And Breathe................................................

56 comments:

  1. Oh wow - reading this makes me glad we're only having the one child, mornings like that sound far too hectic for that early in the morning ;) I love the fact the Mummy Look works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen (NellB14)20 March 2014 at 02:37

    Hey, that's my house you're talking about! (except I haven't got a dog) I just love the peace when I walk in the door having dropped them all off at school. My ears literally ring, you know, the same feeling you have the morning after going to a concert! Today my 13yo had a screaming meltdown, because I laid out a skirt and tights for her and not trousers and socks. Silly me! I forgot to put my psychic head on when I got up. Keep enjoying the silence! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No....Not the dreaded wrong uniform scenario............I wish someone would lay my clothes out for me. They don't know how lucky they are xxxx

      Delete
  3. It makes my feel like we need to extend "our" almost bought house and make another bathroom just in case ;) Mummy look always work even on me and I'm not a small child anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is a huge problem only having 1 bathroom...I am in the process of drawing up a rota.....Like a B&B.....Wait.....Oh my God.......I'm running a B&B xxx

      Delete
  4. children)) i guess thats whats im going to have soon *not looking forward*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu are indeed....Read as many parenting blog posts as you can xxxx

      Delete
  5. I only have one child * and I don't seem to have permission to use my own bathroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a KID LAW that they invented in the womb....xxx

      Delete
  6. Impressed the "Mummy look" works in your house.... maybe I don't look stern enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might of done it too hard this morning...I have a headache now xx

      Delete
  7. I think this will resonate with most people who have children! I don't get up early very often but, when I do, I love that peace and quiet before everyone gets up and the house becomes noisy again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a lot like my house in the morning.....My girls only have to look at each other and it causes an argument....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, we often say that the eldest could start an argument in an empty room xx

      Delete
  9. Siblings - we love and hate each other in equal measures!

    I only have the one, so he can only argue with himself...or me...!

    I recently posted: #NoMakeUpSelfie [Project 365:2014 - Day 79]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an only child so my understanding of siblings arguing is something alien to me.....I longed for a brother or sister. xxx

      Delete
  10. This is my house in the morning....only the dog doesn't just sigh, he runs under the bed and hides for the next 2 hours! Why don't men intervene, that's what I want to know?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew why, he has no trouble telling me off when the phone bill is high.

      Delete
  11. I sure don't miss those days of kids fighting with each other... but at the end of the day... They love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your house sounds very normal, or we are all abnormal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does after reading all the responses. One day they will realise how much they love each other....Hopefully xx

      Delete
  13. You have a fun house! Noise is good

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh i know exactly whats its like , we just plod on and hope it calms down as they get older , wit my 7 its a walking time bomb every minute in our house lol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a morning person, but I love it when everyone is asleep and I am awake! I hate ticking clocks they slowly drive me insane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hold you in admiration that you actually get up before they do! This sounds like our mornings though. Teen, tween and toddler make for manic mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes... I know what you feeling at this situation

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear, does not sound too relaxing! I am hoping that I get money to make an extension with my own private bathroom by the time my lot are teenager - I don't want to have to share and have them argue with me over the shower in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a five month old a three year old who doesn't do sleep so I can't remember the last time I was up before the chaos began! There is nothing like a bit of quiet though, so precious when you are a parent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, I feel for you. My youngest never bloody slept xx

      Delete
  20. I feel as if I am there with you! Thankfully I only have one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can just imagine your dog. My old girl looks at me sometimes when my son is having a tantrum and looks so cheesed off. Makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brillliant! Sounds like a morning in my home when I was growing up. It is much quieter with just one, although the downside is that he likes to get up before 6am. You can never win!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Owch what a morning - lets hope you get a nice warm shower in peace sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds like a morning in my house........not sure the mummy look works for me anymore though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tried the mummy look to hard....Gave me a headache xx

      Delete
  25. haha this reminds me of morning with my siblings, my poor parents! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im an only child so my mum didn't have to put up with it xx

      Delete
  26. Ha this is hilarious. Sooo not looking forward to my little ones growing up and having to contend with this every day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm usually really organised on a morning as we have to leave the house by 7.30 or I'll be late so we don't have chaos - that's generally saved for after school when we have homework/projects/after school activities to cram in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ouch. I feel for you. At least your 'mummy look' actually works though - mine seems to have lost its power ;(

    ReplyDelete
  29. My mum look works on certain kids but I just hot a glimpse into my future. It could be fun lol

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh, I wish I had an effective Mummy Look! In my house the kids still want the other one to go in the shower first as they are still desperately trying to avoid showering!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx