Friday 4 January 2013

The Midnight Blogger


For the past 9 nights something has happened to me, something I cannot explain or figure out. Usually my favourite time of the day is around 11pm, PJ's.....Teeth.....Wee.......Check kids then................BED. Usually I snuggle down making sure one leg is out of the covers and my bum is tucked in (just in case any creepy crawlies decided to venture near my nether regions.......I understand this is a bit weird but its something that has worried me since I have been 7). Once all of my crazy rituals are completed I USUALLY nod off quite happily.


This is what used to happen 9 days ago .........Not anymore.......Nothing.......No nodding off into a gentle dream like state....No yawning and no funny noises (You know the ones I mean, the little noises that escape your throat as your just nodding off, the ones that can sound a bit like a goose).
I now have a new set of rituals.......PJ's, teeth, wee, check kids.....BED, snuggle down, tuck bum in then.........Stare at the clock, listen with complete hatred as The Husband snores, stare a bit more at the clock and finally get up out of my lovely bed and begin the evenings entertainment of ....well....Not sleeping.

So here I am, its now 2.45am in the morning and after 2 hours of being wide...and I mean wide awake I have decided to write this blog in the small hope that it might tire my brain out. I have had 2 chamomile teas, watched 2 re-runs of Minder and The Professionals (God that Lewis Collins was a bit of all right wasn't he) and then decided to Google Insomnia. There are many strange remedies which included having sex and going for a run, neither of which I really fancy doing right now due to the fact that its cold and dark outside and if I wake The Husband up for sex he will never help me cure my sleep disorder and will instead welcome the fact that he gets to have his wicked way most evenings (plus, its not his birthday until September).

The house is remarkably quiet and I am sure that many of you out there will now be thinking that it actually seems like a great idea to stay awake and have a bit of alone time. My only company is the dog who keeps looking at me with a slightly confused expression on his face whilst wagging his tail every time I glance back at him. I have noticed how bloody noisy the fridge is and how my love of clocks is actually quite annoying due to them all ticking at different times. The ticking seems louder than ever and I have seriously thought about going round and taking all the batteries out of them to stop them reminding me that I am still bloody awake.

I have considered going for a walk but changed my mind when I admitted to myself that I would be scared. I wonder if there is a place all insomniacs go at this time of night, you know, like a hang out. I imagine it like a midnight Youth Club for grown ups, TV, tuck shop, pool table and smoking out the back (not that I smoke). Is there someone there serving Horlicks or Chamomile tea whilst giving you advice on how to go back to sleep. Does everyone have to stand up and say "Hello, my name is Keith and I am an a Insomniac", do all the other people nod and clap at his admission............NO....NO....NO.....Of course they don't.....Of course there no bloody club......You see this is my problem.....I cannot switch my brain off from random thoughts.

Sometimes I wish I could take my brain out, put it in a jar and not think. If my ideas and thoughts could be turned into a book/film I would be a millionaire.

 Oooooooooooo....I've just yawned.....What does that mean......Stop thinking about what it means and go with it I tell myself. Maybe blogging is the way forward.....Maybe I will change my name to...The Midnight Blogger.......Maybe I will start my own Insomniac Blogging Club..........You see, there I go again, more stupid thoughts clogging my head.


This is where I need your help. any suggestions, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated please. I am willing to give anything a go as long as it doesn't involve sleeping tablets (tried that once before and ended up asleep on the bathroom floor).

Hope you are all sleeping well, I'm off for another cup of tea and then I will attempt to get a couple of hours shut eye.

Night Night............

P.S I am seriously considering that club you know.

xxxxx

14 comments:

  1. I dont suffer in the same way you do, not every night, but I do find that I suffer on any days that I haven't been outside for a walk or some fresh air, its as simple as that for me. Out in the fresh air for a decent walk as often as you can. Hope this helps, but wont be surprised if not! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you have written that. Have been for a nice dog walk today so I will see if that helps. Thanks for leaving a comment xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh good luck. I find going to bed before Mr B helps a lot. If I'm asleep I'm less likely to be woken by snoring.

    Otherwise, suggest he loses some weight, poke him with your elbow, and record the evidence so we can all hear it on your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lesley, wise words I think. Recording the snoring seems like a fun idea. Xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear! I went through the same a while back and found that exercising helped and placing lavender drops in my bedroom at the bottom of the bed oh and not to eat too late! Hope you get some sleep soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have tried Lavender but Hubby hates the smell...I suppose the answer is to put him in another room....I wish. xx

      Delete
  4. I have had exactly the same problem as you during the last week!!! I've been finally dropping off to sleep around 4am! Perhaps it's something in the air! I've tried the hot bath before bed, Horlicks, reading....I've now got some Kalms and some lavender oil!!! If that doesn't work, I may have to resort to copious amounts of alcohol or a hammer on the head!!! Wish me luck...hope you get some sleep too!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee they all sound good solutions. Am going to give puzzles on my DS a go and see if I can tire my brain out. Thanks for reading xxx

      Delete
  5. OOh, this really is a horrid state of affairs. Jokes aside, I've had bouts of insomnia and it is hideous! I hope it was just a fleeting visit and you're now back to the land of the sleeping fairies. I'm sure once kids go back to school and normal service resumes, your body will go back to it's usual ways. In my experience, worrying about it only made it worse. A warm bath in the evening, reading in bed and then hopefully drifting off but if not, getting up again is the best thing for it. Hope you're back to sleeping soon :) x PS I have come across a blogger who blogs at night due to insomnia - Pressies by Pebbles - you might help each other out?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my lovelt friend. Thanks so much for reading. As I write this I am happy to report that I have had 2 nights great sleep. Mainly due to a puzzle game in my DS, really tires my brain out.
    I am hoping that it will last, you are so right, the more you worry about it the more awake you are.
    I will pop on over and have a look at Pressies by Pebbles.
    Thanks again
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could so sympathise with your sleeping dilemma, my mind sometimes won't switch off at night either, the stupidest thoughts bouncing around inside, driving me mad. Glad to read that you've been able to get some decent sleep lately.
    When you start your Insomnia Blog, follow Lesley's recording the snores idea and we can all add snoring examples and vote for the most humorous nasal racket.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx