Thursday 20 August 2015

Was my Mum really a Hairdresser ??

As you all know we have moved home recently, apart from being hugely stressful and quite frankly worse than childbirth and getting married it was a time to get stuck into that black hole of Calcutta aka THE LOFT and have a good clear out. Unfortunately my plan of shoving it all back into the new loft were dashed when we realised very early on that it wasn't quite as large as the previous one. This resulted in having to bloody good sort through of the boxes which I had been putting off for about 10 years.

So, there I am sitting crossed legged on the floor of the study/new loft area for now sorting through smelly, dusty boxes of ........................Memories.

In amongst the memorabilia I kept coming across photos of me when I was younger/thinner/firmer/
less stressed. ..........You get the picture. As I smiled at the photos something suddenly hit me.............. My hair styles were bloody shocking and then something even bigger hit me....................My own Mother was a sodding hairdresser !!!!!

Let me share with you some of the best haircuts ever :-


 1. I am not entirely sure what the heck was going on here only that I looked like George Best in his younger years. Although.....Check out those eyelashes people !!!!

















2. This little beauty was when I seemed to be going through my Lewis Collins from the Professionals stage (note the Polo neck jumper). To be honest I think I might of had nits and she just cut it all off...............I can still remember going into a shop and being called a "little boy".













3. Unfortunately things didn't really improve as I got a older, in fact by the look of this photo I had adopted quite a severe fringe and I don't just mean the one on the Poncho.
















4. This photo was taken in Richmond Park in the height of summer ,I am quite sure my hair was so bad I had decided to wear my hood up. Either that or my Dad was so embarrassed to be seen with me he had Cello taped it to my head.















5. I actually don't know what to say about this photo other than..............Did nobody have a brush or eyes!!!!










6. First day at secondary school and we were back to the short back and sides..........As if my hair wasn't bad enough check out the colour of my uniform.


















7. To be completely fair to my mum I wanted highlights and went on about them until she caved........Remember people, Spandeau Ballet and Wham were all the rage so that's my excuse for this one.
















8. Its Perm time and I thought I looked fabulous....................Looking back I now resemble a giant Poodle wearing Pat Butcher Earrings.

















Now do you see what I mean, it would of been excusable if Mum had been anything else but she wasn't was she?....................She was a fully qualified hairdresser.................Well, that's what she told everyone !!!!!

What was your most embarrassing hair style ever, I would love to know.

Love
Me
xxxx

23 comments:

  1. Hahaha brilliant! You should see some of the photos of my hair as a kid, my mum definitely was no hairdresser! You were bloody adorable though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely stroll down memory lane - I shall not show you mine as my mother wasn't a hairdresser. The bowl cut was a favourite lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh so much.

    My mum has a all of all our old school photos on - the wall of shame I call it. There are lots of questionable hairstyles on there. She used to cut my fringe and she most definitely WASN'T a hairdresser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest embarrassing hairstyle was during the mid 80s and I was sporting what can only be described as a 'Pat Sharpe mullet'. I don't know what was going on with that - yours don't look that bad!! Great post:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking at old pictures! You haven't changed much, well apart from your hair lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha that did make me laugh - I had a perm too at one point and looking back it was horrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is utterly hilarious!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were so on trend that it hurts! I had about three hairstyles the whole of my youth. I looked like crystal tips my hair was so frizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I always look back at my childhood photos and think the same.. I guess they were trendy eek!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute photos! I remember having really long hair (almost down to my bum) and I decided to go with a friend and have it all cut off in to a very short bob!!! I cried for weeks and weeks lol! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm chuckling away here, I think we may have been separated at birth as my mum was a hairdresser too and I'm sure I have the same photos of me. Even the one in the poncho! I must dig them out and do a similar post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still wear my hair in a ponytail, not that it is embarassing but I do get comments about a Croydon Facelift x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 1970s and 80s weren't great for hair dos were they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE these pics, brings back memories of my own childhood! I had big hair in the 80s. Big, with wings. *shudders ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha excellent! My friend used to have a mullet as child, we still keep reminding her about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant ~ I think I i have had 2 hairstyles since child hood we don't mention the 90s/ perm

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mum was also a hairdresser and my photos tell a similar (sad) story to your own! Now that my mother has no say whatsoever about my hair - it's longer than ever. She hates it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had many a similar haircut (it was obviously ALL the rage) but I know that I would have been insanely jealous if the wham quiff/highlights. I reckon your mum pulled out all the stops there! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never had any truly tragic haircuts but when I was little there was a time my Mum 'tried' to cut my hair

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely memories, I have very similar photos featuring let's say, not so very flattering hairstyles, my mum was not a hairdresser, to her defense but probably it had nothing to do with their profession but with what was considered to be a sensible haircut for little girls back in the day :-). Thank goodness the world has progressed from those, my little girl wears hers long and is pretty pony tails but most likely, by the time she grows, those would be a shocker look too :-).xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I am amazed how many of you sympathies with me. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What great photos - and memories! I have to say that I have lots of images similar to this, culminating in the poodle perm!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Images look funny. Look we have a really good looking boy lol. Its only the images that can capture moments and memories, You can always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx