Wednesday 17 September 2014

Crying and Flying

Before I begin this tale I must point out an important fact............On Sunday (exactly 3 days before I went away) Mr DG.......Lets call him "Mr Your To Blame" for the purpose of this paragraph........Left the broom laying across the entrance to the kitchen. Me, in all my haste of trying to get everything done whipped into said kitchen and with an arm full of washing tripped over ridiculously placed broom, hurtled into the fridge and stubbed my little toe on the corner of the unit. Now, we have all done this before and jumped around swearing and shouting but on this occasion it was slightly different......My little toe was kind of sticking out at a right angle looking......Well......Looking a little bit broken.........

Anyway, on with my story .............................................................................................

So, we arrived in Luxembourg on our own and without the kids which was strange, horrible and exciting all in one, flight was a little bumpy and seats were literally one on top of each other but after careful breathing and much Rescue Remedy, Calms and Gin (I'm joking) I managed to relax and begin to look forward to my get away. My self help app worked very well considering and although I dribbled slightly on Mr DG's shoulder I think it did some good.

Unfortunately right in front of us was a screaming baby and when I say screaming I mean screaming..........No matter how loud I turned my self help guru up the baby managed to drown him out. The other passengers began to turn around and roll their eyes at each other and make snide comments, one woman even asked to be moved in a very loud voice.
I saw the face of the young Mum who was not only mortified but truly upset by the whole experience. Her husband looked on with that kind of "I have no idea what we do now" look and other passengers began to turn around and stare. This reaction from others made me feel angry and quite frankly uneasy.
The problem was clear to see, this poor little mite had been strapped against her Mummy's chest for take off........It was bad enough being a grown up and feeling squashed against the seat in front but imagine how she felt.
Once we were in the air she stopped but did that heart-breaking sobbing thing that babies do. Dad got up and walked her up and down the isle and Mum heaved a sigh and put her head in her hands. I put my hand through the seat in front and squeezed her shoulder "Well done" I said "you handled that beautifully", she looked at me with utter amazement then promptly burst into tears "We have just got off of a 13 hour flight" she said "and she's exhausted". I really felt for her and we exchanged a little wink and a smile at the end as we got off and her baby gurgled quite happily at finally being free of that plane........I think I kind of understood where she was coming from too.

Once we were off the plane and in a taxi we headed off to our hotel.................Why all taxi drivers abroad have to drive like Lewis Hamilton will always be a mystery to me. Poor Mr DG who vowed never to go in a taxi again after our New York experience sat with his hand gripping my knee and clutching his stomach as if ready to throw up, his eyes went like saucers and at one point he even grabbed the seat in front...........................Funny I thought as I watched him, his reaction was not dissimilar to me on the plane.

The hotel resembled a Mine Craft block and I remarked how cool The Male Teen would think it was, inside was just beautiful and everyone was super friendly.
Mr DG said his goodbyes and off he went to work leaving me in a strange European city with a credit card and a smile on my face.....................................................Ooooohhhh........................I almost forgot about the "toe".............................By this point it was swelling up nicely and turning a beautiful shade of blue/green/black and even purple............................................How was I going to fit it in any of the shoes I had packed??????????????



Come back Friday to see what happened next.

Love
Me
xxx

31 comments:

  1. I am very nervous of flying but I love it when I arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always relived and wish people would clap.....I would also like to kiss the pilot xx

      Delete
  2. I would have sulked with my husband for at least a week lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am secretly......Its really hurting today and have informed him that I may need special shoes xxx

      Delete
  3. Poor you re your toe - ouch!! But well done on supporting that poor mum. She sounded like she must be exhausted, and although she cried, I bet you she really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I think she did. I tried to put myself in her shoes and imagine how awful it must of been xx

      Delete
  4. ugh, I can imagine how that baby felt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too..............Poor thing, at least I could run down the gang plank xx

      Delete
  5. Oh your poor toe, ouch... it sounds quite nasty x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! You're poor toe!!
    Well done on supporting the mum on the plane....So kind of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, its killing me today. Poor mum, I really felt for her xx

      Delete
  7. I think hubby should be in the dog house for quite some time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right........And I will need special sparkly shoes .....and a handbag to match xx

      Delete
  8. Oh no poor you, you must have had to hobble one shoed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed, and unfortunately am still hobbling as we speak xx

      Delete
  9. awh your poor toe! hubbie definitely owes you big time! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think Louise......Definitely dinner or even a new pair of shoes xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh goodness I wonder what happened to you next?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great adventure and I hope you made some purchases to ease the pain of your toe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Kizzy but I am afraid to say that I only purchased Macaroons and not a lot else xxx

      Delete
  12. What an exciting few days!! That was so lovely of you on the plane, I can't believe how ignorant some people can be when it comes to children. I hope your toe is getting better now and that you have given that credit card some hammering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt for her I have to say, credit card is in tact luckily xxx

      Delete
  13. I hope you got lots of shopping done ;) It was so kind of you to be there for the lady with the baby and I'm sure she really appreciated your lovely words. I am totally with you on the plane thing - I am a wreck whenever I have to fly anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you made it on the plane with just a little gin :) Hope you are having a lovely time in Lux.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A weekend away without kids sounds wonderful, though I am getting worried about your toe. Quick, fill us in on what happened next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful humane gesture! I just love how people can show random kindness to each other and how lovely it makes the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your act of kindness on the plane was pretty beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww the poor woman on the plane. Even though someone elses screaming baby is annoying when it's continual, I can't help feeling sorry for the mum and baby, which I always want to cuddle as I believe i can make it stop lol!! Jealous of the credit card giving (biatch), not so jealous of the toe ;) x Hope it's ok now x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor toe :-( Poor baby! and well done you on giving the poor Mum a little squeeze.
    I have flown with Aaron a few times but thankfully he's never acted like that. I'd want a parachute to jump right out of there.
    I hope you can hobble around and enjoy your stay. Love that you are telling this story in parts - great idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx