Saturday 5 October 2013

Mistaken Identity

So, there I was doing the usual shopping isle Olympics which included hurdling inconsiderate competitors trolleys that had been strategically left in the middle of the cold meat isle and the ever so popular 100m sprint down the bread isle to beat the shop assistants before they place their annoyingly massive cages that block your view from the particular type of pasta you love. To say I loathe the weekly food shop is an understatement, who wants to get bashed in the ankles, tutted at and glared at when I dare to spend too long looking at which Tampons I want this week. NOT ME!!!


I probably give off an air of annoyance and I am sure I scowl in complete hatred at doing this job and quite often I have even been known to say in a quite loud voice "I bloody hate this shop". So you can imagine my surprise when on this particular day I was alerted to 2 women staring at me whilst whispering and nudging each other..........................."Go on you go and ask her" said one "No, you go I cant just in case its not her" replied the other. "Its definitely her....Look she's even looking a cake stuff" whispered the first lady. I looked behind expecting to see Delia Smith but.....No....It was just me...............................What on earth were they talking about, it was definitely me they were staring at. I smiled a weak smile and sort of raised an eyebrow in a kind of "Tell me what's going on" way.

"I'm surprised you have time for shopping with all that's going on" said the now totally hyper women. "What are you baking this week"? she squealed. "Ummmmmm......"Just some fairy cakes with a variety of coloured icing on them" I said trying to sound enthusiastic. "Oh............Errrrrrrr........Right................Well I'm sure they will look as amazing as always" she said.

Then the question that confirmed they had the wrong person........"What's Paul Hollywood like, is he as gorgeous in the flesh as he is on TV"..................................It was at this moment I thought about lying just for a few seconds of fame, then curiosity got the better of me and I wondered who on earth they thought I was......................"I'm really sorry ladies, but I think you have the wrong person" I sheepishly said..........................."I bloody knew it wasn't her" said the red haired lady, "We are so sorry but we thought you was the lady from The Great British Bake Off. You look so much like her." she explained.

We stood for a while laughing at their case of mistaken identity and actually had quite a nice chat about who we wanted to win on GBBO. I couldn't wait to get home and have a proper look at my body double and hurriedly finished the shopping before going home.

So folks, here is my double apparently.......................I'm not sure but Mr DG and the kids can all see a slight resemblance.










I only wish I could bake like her as my fairy cakes were a complete disaster and only rose on one side in the oven. I thought the icing would cover up a multitude of sins only to find they looked even worse. In a state of panic I built a fairy cake tower and poured the icing all over the top......................................................................Mr DG's face was a picture when he walked in and we were holding the "Thing" whilst singing happy birthday.

I might be The 40 Year Old Domestic Goddess......................But I never said what I was a Domestic Goddess in did I??????????


I've linked up with the fabulous linkys over at Olivers Madhouse Magic Moments and PODcast What's The Story. Pop on over and read some amazing blogs.

26 comments:

  1. Ha ha, hilarious! As I said before,she's not a patch on you, although there is a slight resemblance....in the looks department, not the baking one! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're almost twins lol! I can totally see why they mistook you for Becca she just happens to be my favourite!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!!! Are you sure you aren't here! Theres a crazy similarity!! Nice to know for future "use" though :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it may come in handy if she wins...................Off to Lakeland to blag some freebies lol xxx

      Delete
  4. fantastic. Luckily no one has actually asked me any questions about being on stage xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On stage..................................Where you on stage???? xx

      Delete
  5. Brilliant, I did think for a moment they were going to ask you if you were the writer of 40 year old domestic goddess blog - Christ that would scare the pants of me if that happened in Asda LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did happen once at a party....She wanted my autograph and everything. Kept asking her if she knew I was just a blogger. Think maybe she had had too much to drink xx

      Delete
  6. Oh how funny - there is a similarity...... I remember when a kid stopped me whilst I was on the bus and thought I was Jabba the Hutt!!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see the resmblance - love your cupcakes - stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee, that's too funny! There is defo a resemblance!! #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - I can see why they were 'confused' - there are worse people to be mistaken for lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hilarious Sam, you must have wondered what on earth was going on initially! She does have the same hair as you but you look FAR BETTER! More creativity with your cakes too I might add. Brilliant post, thank you so much for sharing #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of branching out into wedding cakes..................What do you think ??? xxxx

      Delete
  11. Ha ha, you do look rather similar!
    I don't watch Bake Off - as I was reading I wondering if they'd got you mixed up with Marian Keyes - black hair, sparkly eyes, baked to get over depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo...............Now i'm going to have to go and find her too. xxx

      Delete
  12. Not a double but definitely a resemblance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww honey!! your fairy cakes were no doubt i am sure very tasty however they look similar to mine .. i am master of many things but baking i am not lol

    This post really made me smile! lol

    thank you for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx