Thursday 12 July 2012

Tick Tock

I have a clock on my mantle piece, its a beautiful clock which not only tells the time but shows the day and the date. Each morning I come downstairs before everyone else and I turn the little handles on the side to move it on to the correct day. Usually I like this task, it signifies a brand new day where anything could happen and usually I don't mind this.

This week however I am not liking it......Not liking it at all. As the days move on from one to the next all I can see is the dreaded date of Thursday 19th July fast approaching. In the grand scheme of things this day is not really a big deal, I am not off to hospital for anything serious neither am I going to a funeral. You see, to others Thursday 19th is just like any normal day really except for me its a huge day and means only one thing. ........The Whirlwinds last day at Primary school.




I can remember when it was The Teenagers last day at little school, we went to the Leavers Assembly and I cried along with all the other mums. But in the back of my mind was this little safety net which meant that I still had 3 years before I even had to think about this being my youngest child leaving. Well now its nearly here, I just don't know where the time has gone. One minute we were wrestling him into the school doors and now I want to wrestle him to stay 11 forever and stop growing up so fast.

I cannot say that his Primary Education has been easy because it has not. He was never one of those kids that loved going to school each day and would only go because I told him once when he was very little that if he didn't go I would get arrested and sent to prison for 25 years. I think the idea of having nobody to cook, clean, wash his clothes and dare I say it.....tuck him in at night was all too much for him.

He says he is looking forward to being at big school and has even decided that it really isn't cool to take his Lego in a Tupperware container any more as was once suggested. Instead we are now buying him shirts and ties and much stationary. He doesn't want a themed lunchbox anymore or a Marks & Spencers school bag instead he wants a Gola bag and a carrier bag for his lunch. His hair has gone from long and floppy into a shorter style which I think will eventually be styled into that hideous flicky Justin Annoying Beiber look.

I know that once up at big school we will be into the revolting boy teen years and all that comes with it. I will be using this summer holidays to mentally prepare my mind and my body for the onslaught that can only be described as the grunting/smelly/argumentative/pulling my hair out phase and I will be primed like a missile for September.



In the meantime I will get up and wind my clock each morning and I will probably shed a tear occasionally as I realise that Thursday 19th July wasn't really the big day. It is in fact Wednesday 5th September when his grown up adventure really begins and I loose my little Whirlwind to the big wide world of Secondary school.

And just as I have been for the past 11 years I will continue to nag guide him in the right direction and make sure that he turns out to be a respectful,happy and caring young man.

Lastly, let me leave this important thought with you all. Remember this.........Be good to your kids, be caring to your kids and Look after your kids.........Because one day its them who will choose your nursing home.!!!!!

Lots of Love
Me
xxxx

20 comments:

  1. I do wonder if it's worse with your last. I coped quite well with all of my eldests leaver days, yet with the others I sobbed when they left playgroup and I am really dreading it when they leave school, I will have to sit at the back with a large box of Kleenex and dark glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is as thats it really, no need for me to go in ever again. Have been a governor and chair of the PTA for 10 years so its goodbye from me too. xx

      Delete
  2. I just sobbed through this! So sweet. My youngest starts school this September. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, sorry it made you cry. Enjoy all the time you have while they are little. xxxx

      Delete
  3. Must be difficult for him too. Hope you have something fun planned to ease the pain xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lesley, Planning a mums coffee morning on their 1st day back so we can all cry over our cake. xxx

      Delete
  4. This will be the start . . they leave a little boy that morning and come home completely different! It's amazing the changes they go through in such a short space of time. I hate change. I don't look forward to the leaver's assembly at all but can't wait for six weeks off (such is the double edged sword of Prinmary education) And I know you'll love those six weeks too :-)). I only have one who went through it and is now going into year 10 and I don't know his friends any more. Growing pains indeed- for me! Good blog chick. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when The Teenager went on her 1st day and now shes going into year 11. I am dreading the leavers assembly I am sure I will be a proper cry baby. My top tip is to eat polos, seems to help with the tears. Looking forward to the summer holidays so much this year. Thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  5. All the memories came flooding back reading this :( it was me last year, with my daughter. He will probably be incredibly excited, you will be full of nostalgia. Come sept 5th, you will both be looking to pastures new.....a year on and we have both survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope he is going to love it up there and am sure I will be much worse than him. Thanks for reading hun xxx

      Delete
  6. I completely sympathise with you, I'm in the same position and dreading it. Dot had a few tears the other night at the thought she won't be going back to primary school after the summer holidays and I'll be having a few over the next few weeks. Dot had two induction days at big school last week though and she was fine, liked it even, so I'm sure she'll be fine. The biggest challenge will be making sure she's on the school bus in time each day - it comes through our villat at 8am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, its so hard isnt it. He isnt too worried about leaving primary school as it hasnt been easy for him there but I am sure that I will feel very strange not going back in there. The school has been a big part of all our lives. Never mind onwards and upwards and onto pastures new. This time next year we will be blogging about their 1st year at Secondary school.
      Big hugs for you and Dot xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, I don't know how I missed this first time round because I can so relate! My boy left primary on Friday 20th and started secondary on Wed 5th. I went through all this emotion too. I have the safety net of two more yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tough time for me if I'm really honest. 5months on and I'm fine. He's having such a brilliant time. Xx

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful. Loved it then, love it now! I bet you and he are all settled now but it's so lovely to look back on your feelings at the time - yay for blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Thankyou, or commenting and giving us all a chance to dig out some old blogs xxx

      Delete
  9. I've just found this thanks to Suzanne's RT, and I wrote virtually he same back in July! What a time for us, eh? We had the WORST start at grammar school in Sept, he left his friends & was just terrified of big school. Thankfully by autumn half term he'd settled, now we never look back and primary school seems a lifetime away.
    I do hope your young man's settled in, and I'm not sure about you - but we've already got the Bieber haircut well on the way! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a time indeed. So glad yours has settled in now. My young man is having a super time which is brilliant. And yes indeed....we also have the Beiber cut going on. Xxxx

      Delete
  10. I haven't had to experience anything like this yet but I can imagine that it's going to be a very emotional journey! I love your quote at the end, my mum says something very similar to me and my siblings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. He is totally settled now and really enjoying it xxx

      Delete

Love to hear your comments, and I will always try to reply xxx